Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 23 September 2026

"Why Don't You Run Fund Raisers?"



It is hard to explain to people that when it comes to wildlife the top priority is not "How much money can I get from this?"

 Wildlife work is not about making money. 

If there is a sick or injured badger then Sarah Mills (The Bristol Fox Lady/Bristol Wildlife Rescue)  is on hand and so long as she can keep donations coming in for the fuel costs etc. that is sorted. The mileage she covers in a couple of months  is staggering and in a year beyond staggering.   Once she has re-assessed needs then people can be updated for donations.

I have 8 trail cams if I ever need to keep a sett under survey or gather evidence of badger activity to protect the site in question from developers.  Travelling back and forth to a site is not going to be excessive in cost as opposed to rescue expenses.

I keep the Fox and Badger Death Register which just requires people to actually report deaths. 

It would be nice to raise money for wildlife crossing signs BUT the City Council and Highways have to approve these so I am still working on that side of things -if someone wants to pay me by the email or phone callit would be a pretty amount!

IF they give the go ahead for sign placement then funding would be needed for the signs as that is beyond the loose change in my pocket!

"Why not set up an online funds raiser?"  I have tried in the past to raise funds for research work BUT the fact that after 10 years of reminding people the PayPal donation button was therew...£00.00.    People like to know what the money they are throwing out at you is for and there is nothing you can hold up and say "This is what your money helped with."  

I am an old dinosaur of a naturalist and we never asked people for money in the past and the idea that people would contribute to DNA testing to look at the historical side of badgers and foxes is a tad silly as that woiuld require a lt of money that could go into rescue and health monitoring/treatment.

For road signs I may try an appeal next year but as I noted that needs official approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Why Don't You Run Fund Raisers?"

It is hard to explain to people that when it comes to wildlife the top priority is not "How much money can I get from this?"   Wil...