Above a Victorian taxidermy by Rowland Ward
Here is something people need to realise.
Taxidermy is an odd hobby but without it we would have no idea what the Old types of British fox looked like. When the bristol Fox Deaths Study was launched we would ask whether anyone could help collect and drop off. The carcasses vanished. After a while we learnt that taxidermists were reading the locations of dead foxes and goping out and grabbing them for their own use. Even though we explained the scientific importance of getting foxes that had seemingly died suspiciously, taxidermists quite literally told us where to go.
On one taxidermy group was a photo of a dead badger lying next to a car on what seemed to be a quiet country road. The poster asked whether any taxidemists were interested in buying? Someone said it would be grabbed quickly as badgers were hard to get a hold of. The person explained that 4-5 badgers a week "died on this road every every week". Now THAT is a ridiculous number. I asked what road it was as the local badger group might want to go out and check why so many were dying on the road and see what could be done. I was immediately banned from that group.
Someone on it later told me I was "booted off for asking questions". I learnt that there were fixed rates paid for anbimals and badgers "are worth a lot". I stated that it was suspicious that so many died EVERY week. I was told "It's fine. Taxidermists are okay -the seller puts up a photo of the badger they are selling at the side of the road so it's bought as a legitimate road kill".
WHAT?!
I found similar on another taxidermy group. I asked (politely) for info and several members of the group told me to keep my nopse out of it....and I got banned.
Taxidermists are now grabbing all the shot and snared foxes they can despite the foxes declining as a specie (rare in Wales which is why photographers travel outside Wales to photograph them and even the RNIB after its mammal survey suggested foxes should be Red Listed). "Legitimately shot -no blood smears"
The person also seems to think the dead foxes can just be sent via the post. Here is the law regarding that:
No, general fresh or unpreserved dead animals are not allowed to be sent through the UK post, but specific exceptions exist for properly preserved biological specimens, dead collectable insects, or authorized veterinary samples.
£15 a fox.and despite what is written no legitimate reason to kill young foxes especially when there is species decline.
3-4 or 5-6 badgers being killed on a quiet country road at the exact same spot EVERY week/month is suspicious. The taxidermists will not report it so it can be investigated but if you see or hear of anything suspicious report it to the police and/or DEFRA as possible wildlife crime.
No comments:
Post a Comment